Local places of interest
There are many places to visit in the local area, from cathedrals to historic homes. Winchester and Chichester both have impressive cathedrals to visit. The south coast has many attractions, including Portsmouth’s historic ships and dockyard.
- Winchester ~ Cathedral & King Arthurs medieval Round Table
- Chichester ~ Cathedral & coast, West Dean Gardens, Chichester Festival Theatre
- Portsmouth ~ Historic ships and dockyard – The Mary Rose, HMS Victory, HMS Warrior
- South Downs National Park
- Uppark, Hinton Ampner, Woolbeding & many others
- Jane Austin’s house at Chawton
- West Wittering beach, famed for it’s expanse of sand
The Long House is centrally positioned for long distance walks along the South Downs Way or shorter walks around the village of East Meon.
Transport can be arranged to and from points on the South Downs Way.
The South Downs National Park covers a large area of South-Eastern England, from Hampshire to East Sussex. Places to explore include historical sites, ancient forests, and bronze age monuments. It is also an area of natural beauty, with rolling green hills and grassland. The national park is a favoured destination for walkers and cyclists.
Great first stop when walking SDW
“The Long House was my first stop while walking the South Downs Way in February and it ticked all the boxes. Marjorie was away and her sister Mary was my host, kindly driving me to the local pub (The George) for supper and picking me up later. The room and bed were very comfortable, with attached shower and common use of a guest kitchen.
Excellent breakfast with home baked bread in the morning. Recommended without hesitation!“